Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 4 - Scalpers = Gullible Me, Vancouver and Singing Brothers

Whistler + The Olympics = TOTAL BLISS! I absolutely love it here:). We woke up in the Whistler mansion to the beautiful sun and sparkly snow all over the ground. Then we got to shower in the most magnificent shower I have ever seen. I am taking mental notes when I strike it rich. After that the most important part of the day happened - photo shoots with the new outfits. Here they are people - what do you think???


Then we took the bus into Whistler Village for more memories and excitement. The thing I love about Whistler is that it makes me feel like I am in a Swiss Alps wonderland where everyone pretty much speaks English and they are always saying "Sorry" in their Canadian accents. I love that. Someone accidentally walks in your pathway or bumps into you ever so slightly and they are apologizing. People are so nice here! They are also very talented. Check out this video I got of this high school band. They were so cute!


The day was starting out perfect. And then I tried to do the perfect thing for my amazing father, sisters and Rogan. I decided that I was going to buy everyone tickets to an Olympic event! I didn't know much about Cross Country Skiing, but when a scalper whispered ever so seductively, "want tickets to Cross Country? $20 a piece" I couldn't resist. I even bought cupcakes for the road. Or should I say the bus trip up the mountain. Which took 40 minutes. And the bus driver got lost and couldn't manuveur a 3-point turn. So when we got there we thought "man, Cross Country Skiing isn't that popular I guess. There is no one here." We soon discovered that was because the event was just finishing and everyone was watching Norway win 1/2 mile up the road. As we were walking up streams of people started coming down. It was so funny - I got worked by a scalper!!! But we had fun taking some pictures anyway. And it was a good, but expensive hike up to the top. I do always say that you can't put a price on exercise!





We were so tired when we came back down the mountain! Of course we couldn't resist eating another one of those evil Beaver Tails before we hit the road for Vancouver. So we did - adding up the total sweets consumed today to a cupcake, sticky bun, several skittles, and 1.5 Beaver Tails for me. Vacation people - don't judge.
I fell asleep for the entire trip back to Vancouver but I woke up for the best part. Dinner at an Italian restaurant with the Elton brothers and Canadian cousins. Let me tell you, they NEVER disappoint. Half way through dinner they all gathered around my grandmother for a family photo and my dad started singing an Elton favorite "Trudeau Knows My Father" to which all the brothers joined in a rousing chorus. So rousing in fact, that they were asked for several encores all night from fellow diners. It was kind of hilarious. And very Elton. The best part of this is that I took the picture mid-song. They were still posing for pictures the whole time. We are so vain:).

I of course was jealous that I didn't get to sing in front of a restaurant full of people. But don't worry - someone was looking out for me when we walked outside to a courtyard FULL of people and an open outdoor Karaoke bar!!! Naturally my cousin Treva and I belted out a killer version of RESPECT. Video and pictures coming soon. I was too consumed in my own Canadian Idol moment to document.
After my moment of fame we went to my cousin Aaron's girlfriend's Eco-Friendly fashion show and concert. It was very cool! Clothing made out of recycled material. Don't worry, that bottle was full of sparkling soda which I guzzled down. It was a rager.




We walked around town and met some of the coolest people and had a blast! I have realized two things at the Olympics games - 1.) People lose all inhibitions 2.) They lose all inhibitions because they are totally wasted drunk and out of their minds. These two things were never part of my college education at Brigham Young University. I do have to say however, that the night would not have been as fun without watching drunk people cheer for their countries. So thank you, Heineken, or whatever you are. Here are a few goodies (explanation for the picture with the guy walking in front - my cousin Lisa yelled at him and called him a HOSER for walking in front of her while she was taking a picture. I had to include it because it was so Canadian and hilarious at the same time:)...





I have decided that I love Canada, my family, the Olympics and people who do crazy things when they are drunk. But only when they are at the Olympics. Tomorrow should be full of adventure. Stay tuned....:)

1 comment:

  1. You girls are so hot it makes my eyes hurt...happy you had fun in CA!!

    ReplyDelete